Tuesday, November 12, 2013

White Chili

If it's cold and dreary outside and you need something hot and hearty for lunch (or supper)...It's chili time! I actually learned this recipe from when I was interning at a local restaurant. I went home and tried to remember everything I put into the dish. I then looked up recipes for the White Chili and was surprised by the many varieties of the recipe out there. After many tweaking of this recipe - this is my version of White Chili.

White Chicken Chili 
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 ancho chili pepper, chopped (optional) 
1 Large can of diced chicken breasts OR
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
1 pkg. (43 oz.) beef stock
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies 
2 Tablespoon roasted salsa verde (opt.)
2 teaspoons ground cumin  

2 teaspoons dried oregano 
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper 
Salt and cracked pepper to taste
3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans or white kidney beans, drained 

1 cup shredded cheese - I like parmesan
Chopped jalapeno pepper (optional) 

In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in oil for 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and ancho peppers, cook a minute longer. Add the chicken, beef stock, green chilies, salsa verde, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. 

 Reduce heat to low. Add beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Top each serving with cheese and jalapeno pepper if desired. 

 Note: The original recipe below calls for chicken broth. I find that using beef stock actually heightens the flavor of the chicken, than using plain chicken broth. Also, if you are using beef broth - you may not need to add a whole lot of spices and seasoning as broth has seasoning added. I use beef stock and add my own seasoning to taste.


This is the basic recipe I used. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/white-chicken-chili

No comments:

Post a Comment